Recent Posts

Monday, April 29, 2013

Y: Yo-yoing

Yo-yoing by definition is: To undergo frequent abrupt shifts or reversals

This is my method of writing stories ... yo-yoing. I never write just one story at a time and here is why:
When I'm writing a story and I get stuck in writer's block, I have learned that changing directions, abruptly  and writing about another story - usually of another genre - will get me back on track.

Since I have the ability to write about one subject and work on another at the same time, I can work on the current story while subconsciously thinking about the first story.

For example:

When I get writer's block while writing my historical romance novel, I switch to my YA fantasy novel in order to keep me writing. I have found that by the time I come to a stopping point with my fantasy (or the point in which I hit writer's block) I have subconsciously fixed the problem with the romance and can continue. Then I abruptly shift back to the first novel and keep going. And so it goes, back and forth between the two novels (sometimes 3 when I am really stuck) ... yo-yoing

This may be considered insane, my husband calls it multitasking, others call it talents, and I call it a necessity. It's worked for me for many years, so why stop something that's working so well?

How do you get past writer's block?


3 comments:

  1. Fun! Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Apparently I have already been following your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I bounce between a couple projects at the same time, too. Used to stick to one, but learned that being able to move amongst other things helps keep moving me forward.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!