Recent Posts

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Silver Scams by MK Wisemen (Mechanized Masterpieces 2 Anthology)



AUTHOR BIO

-->
A Wisconsin gal with a Southwest soul, M. K. Wiseman can generally be found wandering happily amongst the pages of the largest book she can get her hands on. She came upon writing rather accidentally, finding that, sometimes, there are stories that simply must be told. “The Silver Scams” is her third short story published at Xchyler. Other titles include “Clockwork Ballet” in Mechanized Masterpieces: A Steampunk Anthology (2013), and “Downward Mobility” in Legends and Lore: an Anthology of Mythic Proportions (2014). A fantasy novel is scheduled for release in 2015.

A techie with a penchant for typewriters, she is a magnet for misadventure, though her own story has yet to unfold. Harboring such dreams as someday possessing a library complete with hidden bookcase doors, piloting a hot air balloon, and running away in a sailboat, she currently subsists contentedly between worlds, plotting and dreaming.

-->

Q/A with M. K. Wiseman
Please share how you came up with the concept for your story?

Hans Brinker, of The Silver Skates, makes a couple tantalizing references to a Jan Kamphuisen and a “young Hoogsvliet” – two former friends of Raff Brinker. (Chapter 37 notes Jan as being in jail and the other companion dead the past five years.) Holland being mostly below sea level, I thought: “How fun it would be to have a couple of hapless cons trying to bilk the government out of fantastic amount of money in exchange for lifting the land above sea level–steampunk style, of course.” Alls I had to do was give Mr. Hoogsvliet a first name and the rest just fell into place.



Please name some of your other published works?

I have two other short stories published through Xchyler. “The Clockwork Ballet” found a home in the first Mechanized Masterpieces. The story puts forth one idea of what might have occurred after the conclusion of Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera. And “Downward Mobility” in Legends and Lore happened when I decided to try my hand at a bit of light paranormal fiction.



What is your preferred writing genre?

If I look to the works in progress on my hard drive, I'm rather surprised at myself. Looks like I've a tie between YA fantasy and steampunk.



And preferred reading genre?

YA fantasy. Especially the older stuff—30 or 40+ years old.



What are your top 3 favorite books?

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card.

The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall.

A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett



Do you have any particular writing habits?

I have a special “writing chair,” I tend to write long-hand into yellow legal pads during the planning stage, and I love a bit of background noise—but not music, because then my brain latches on to the melody. (I have become addicted to the website Coffitivity.)



Do you have a playlist that you created while writing your story?

Nope. I know that's a thing but I don't do it. Is someone else wants to, however . . .



Panster or plotter?

Plotter all the way. Before I sit down to craft my (color-coded!) outline, I write my “wish list” rundown of the plot. This blocks in and states in print the “things I want to happen absolutely and for certain.” Then I go through and make an outline that makes sense of the mess I just jotted down. Some of my “wish list” items don't end up making the cut and sometimes they're changed by my simply having a greater understanding of how this story will work. But once I've locked in the plot, there is very little wiggle room.



Advice for writers?

         Write. Dream. Play around with stories. I've elsewhere compared writing to drawing—daily practice makes you better. Keep doing it and learn from what you are doing. Also, read. Read a lot. And then re-read. We all have favorites we've read two-dozen plus times. There is a reason some books get a hold of us that never let go.



What's up next for you?

I have a YA novel in the works. Slated for release later this year.

Character Casting: 
Who would you cast for your main characters and why?

Vinnie Jones 


as Jan Kamphuisen. I don't even think I need to say why on this one, do I? I mean talk about your perfect blend of hired muscle and softie smile. We'd have to address his accent, though.

Pier Hoogsvliet gave me pause, however. He's a bit too styled, too flamboyant for me to just grab a name. Am thinking it might be fun to see
Neil Patrick Harris in the role.





Pre-Order Links:


FACEBOOK BOOK TOUR LINK:


About Xchyler Publishing

And their books:


Tour Schedule:

February 22: 
Book 1: 
A Princess of Jasoom by J. Aurel Guay

February 23: 
Book 2: 
Winged Hope by Megan Oliphant

February 23: 
Book 3: 
The Van Tassel Legacy by Jay Barnson

February 24: 
Book 4: 
Invested Charm M. Irish Gardner

February 25: 
Book 5: 
Payoff for Air Pirate Pete by D. Lee Jortner

February 26: 
Book 6: 
Rise of the House of Usher by J.R. Potter

February 26: 
Book 7: 
The Silver Scams by M. K. Wiseman

February 27: 
Book 8: 
Nautilus Redux by Scott E. Tarbet

February 27: 
Book 9: 
Mr. Thornton by Scott William Taylor

February 28: 
Book 10: 
West End Neve Talbot


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!