Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Great Summer Reads - Day 14




"Heather Wallace is a wife, mother, entrepreneur, writer, equestrian, and animal massage therapist.

Her first book, Equestrian Handbook of Excuses, was a 2017 Literary Selection for the Equus Film Festival. Her second book, Confessions of a Timid Rider, is an autobiography detailing Heather Wallace’s insights about being an anxiety-ridden but passionate equestrian. 

After returning to riding as a mother, she is determined to follow her dreams despite the fear she is somehow lacking in talent or ability. An in-depth look into the heart and head of a returning adult equestrian, this message is not limited only those  with horse experience. 

In fact, Confessions of a Timid Rider is the perfect book to read for anyone whom even for a moment questions their value in their designated profession or life choice. This book will inspire you to pursue your dreams despite the inner voice that says you aren’t good enough.



~ Website ~ Amazon ~





"For a long time I let that fear get in my way. I always felt like I was missing something when I stepped away from horses during my teens.



I’ve come a long way since I took that first step back to horsemanship as an adult. When I say I am a timid rider, it is not because I am scared to ride. Oh no, it is because I am scared to fail. I am scared that I cannot live up to my own expectations. That my insecurities will hold me back. Or that I will let my anxiety be greater than my passion once again and step away, or worse, not try to be the person I want to be. My self doubt tries to hold me back but I refuse to give in.


These are the confessions of a timid rider."




Author Interview:

1.      
What is your favorite book that is not yours?


This is such a tough question. I love to read and read a lot. You could even call me a voracious reader. The book I’ve read most is probably Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. There is something inherently powerful about a woman writing in a man’s world. Ms. Austen wrote from the heart but addressed real issues that transcend time even into today’s society. But nothing stopped her, she used a pseudonym and was compelled to write. Compelled to tell a story that still has meaning today, hundreds of years later. I cannot think of anything more compelling. The love story certainly adds a dash of spice as well.

2.                 Do you write in multiple genres? Which genre is your favorite to write?


Confessions of a Timid Rider is my second book, and a memoir about my life and struggles with anxiety and self doubt in horseriding. However, horses are a metaphor for that one thing in our lives we carely deeply about and fear we are unable to achieve. We all have something that matters to us more than anything: family, a hobby, a job, or something else entirely. Mine happens to be horses and *surprise* sharing my writing..


My first book, Equestrian Handbook of Excuses is a photography book with short and sassy little excuses why equestrians tell themselves they can’t ride that day. So I would say so far I’m firmly in the non-fiction category.

Would I be willing to write a fiction novel? Never say never!

3.                 How young were you when you started writing?


I have been writing as long as I remember. I wrote in notepads and journals as a young girl, making up poetry, song lyrics, and fiction stories. When my parents bought a computer I spent a lot of time writing there. But I was always afraid to show my writing to anyone else. When I asked my friend of 20 years to be an advanced reader for Confessions of a Timid Rider she was a little shocked and pleasantly surprised. It was the first thing I’d ever let her read!

4.          If you could meet any author, past or present, who would it be and why?


I would absolutely love to meet Stephen King. His creativity and his insight into the writing process has always inspired me. I confess, his prowess is a little intimidating but his no nonsense approach to writing is an absolute inspiration.


5.                 How long does it take you to write a book, and what was your fastest book to write?
How fast does it take me to write a book? Two or three months, approximately. It’s the editing and revisions that take the longest. Confessions of a Timid Rider had it’s bones in my blog, Bridle & Bone, which was recently rebranded as The Timid Rider. In fact, it was through the success of my blog that I gave me the confidence to write a book!


6.                 What is your favorite thing to do in the summertime?


Does it have to be just one? Summers are extremely busy for me. In addition to my work as an animal massage therapist, I spend a lot of time with my family and addressing the needs of my daughter who attends a specialized summer camp for children with head trauma. In our down time, we spend time with our pony Ferrous at the barn and have quality time at the beach where we belong to a beach club.


This summer will be unique in that I’m traveling to Mongolia to be the writer and photographer for The Gobi Desert Cup, a 480 kilometer endurance ride on Mongolian horses. 




To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event Page 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!