Recent Posts

Saturday, April 13, 2013

L: Loyal Friends

Friends are amazing and wonderful and just make life better! But it's always in those moments of trouble, panic, mayhem, etc., that you really find out who your true friends are - you know, those most loyal to your friendship.
I have found my most loyal friendships are those that are tried and are true. These are also the people that I trust when it comes to reading my stories. It is actually harder for me to give them to people I've known for years, over giving them to someone I only know through a Facebook group .... I think this is due to the high expectations of those who have known you since you attempted to write your first novel.
So when it comes to loyal friends, they are the ones that I can trust in any situation.
The interesting thing is, it is also frantic or panicked situations that sometimes make you find good friends.

For example:
Recently I completed a manuscript and I really needed some readers. I had several sisters and dear friends who have been asking to read my work for years. I finally chose a couple of my sisters and only one dear friends to read my work. This is the friend who will give me her honest opinion but still be nice. We have been friends for over 20 years! I flew across the country to help her paint her house when she moved in, and she flew across the country for my sealing.
Yup, that's a loyal friend! We talk almost every day - and she definitely pulled through with the manuscript for me.

Sometimes Loyal friend are found in the moment of need. Another Example:
When I received a request for a query, synopsis, and 6 chapters of my manuscript to be sent to an agent - well I was in panic mode. I wasn't ready! But through some great new friends, I got them all done. My inbox was full of people sending back chapters - edited and critiqued. My query was pulled together and my synopsis fit on less than two pages. Now I have some loyal friends that I know I can trust with my story and know they will pull through in a panic.
Loyal friends are very important to me, especially in my writing.

And going back now to sisters. Sisters are some of the most loyal and trusted friends for me! I have 10 sisters and I know I can turn to them always!

So thanks to all my friends who have been loyal - weather it be for over 20 years or over a very frantic weekend of  pulling together requested work. I hope you all know I'm there for you as much as you are there for me!


3 comments:

  1. I agree. I have two friends I would trust to read my work. Plus two writers I know we trade beta services. I value their opinion and honesty. They are few though when it comes to writing though.


    History Sleuth's Writings A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing friends certainly are critical to the writing process. Congrats on the request. :)

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loyal friends trump just about anything. I have a couple of close real life friends (and a sister) whom I would trust to give me honest feedback about my writing, and a couple of online friends too.

    As you say, sometimes you don't really know who your friends are until you're in crisis mode. Last year about half way through the A to Z Challenge, I fell and banged my head. I tried to continue with the blogging and managed for a few days, but finally had to throw in the towel. I posted my last post and my apologies, and I thought that was that--until an online friend pulled together a team of writers to finish the challenge for me. It still brings tears to my eyes to think about that act of kindness.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!